Saturday, May 7, 2016

Online Swap Blocks

Since I don't have a lot of spare time for quilting, attending a local quilting group meeting can be hard to fit in my schedule.  Because of that, online quilting groups have been the perfect answer for me.  I can fit participating in them whenever I have a free moment, and they have been great for keeping my quilting mojo strong.

I've mostly done online quilting bees.  Each person in the bee agrees to create and mail a block to the Queen of the month, with each member being Queen once.  I love being able to sample a wide variety of blocks without ending up with a bunch of orphan blocks.  It has also pushed me to try things I probably wouldn't have otherwise (paper piecing) and taught me what blocks I really don't enjoy making (log cabins).

Here's a sampling of some of the blocks I've created for members of the bees.







When I started participating in online bees, it was through the Threadbias website, but unfortunately, Threadbais closed last fall.  A lot of the members there transitioned to Flickr to keep our swaps going.  We are about halfway through our current bee, and it's been as fun as ever.  Flickr's format makes it harder for keeping a group organized and getting new members though, so before the bee ends, I plan to explore running a bee through Instagram.

No comments:

Post a Comment